Low-fat and warming, this bean and vegetable soup makes a healthy lunch or dinner – for even more nutrients, top with sliced almonds.Print
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp coarsely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 500g carrot (preferably organic), sliced
- 400g can cannellini beans (no need to drain)
- 4 tbsp almonds in their skins, cut into slivers
- sprinkle of nutmeg
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, ginger and garlic, and fry for 5 mins until starting to soften. Stir in the nutmeg and cook for 1 min more.
- Pour in the stock, add the carrots, beans and their liquid, then cover and simmer for 20-25 mins until the carrots are tender.
- Scoop a third of the mixture into a bowl and blitz the remainder with a hand blender or in a food processor until smooth. Return everything to the pan and heat until bubbling. Serve topped with the almonds and nutmeg.
Carrots are rich in carotenoids, which our bodies convert to vitamin A – vital for a healthy respiratory system. Ginger protects and heals the gut and eases stomach upsets and nausea.
Almonds are rich in vitamin E – eat with their skins intact, because flavonoids found in the skins more than double the potency. Nutmeg has anti-microbial properties; also enhances digestion and stimulates appetite.