Discover the rustic flavours of tagine in a soup. Packed with chickpeas, peppers and kale plus apricots for sweetness, this satisfying soup is super-healthy.Print
- 2 red peppers
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 ½l low-salt veg stock
- 150g kale , chopped
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 50g dried apricots , finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- fat-free natural yogurt , to serve (optional)
Heat the grill to its highest setting. Halve and deseed the peppers, then lay cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with foil. Grill for 10-15 mins, or until blistered and softened. Leave until cool enough to handle, then remove and discard the skins. Slice the roasted peppers into thin strips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a low heat. Fry the onion for 8-10 mins until softened. Stir through the garlic, coriander, cumin and harissa paste and cook for 1 min more. Add the chickpeas and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins, covered.
- Stir the peppers through the soup with the kale, lemon zest and juice, and apricots and cook, covered, for another 5 mins. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with the chopped parsley scattered over and a dollop of yogurt, if you like.