There are dozens of great drinks in the whiskey cocktail canon, from boozy stirred classics like the Old Fashioned and Manhattan to shaken examples like the Whiskey Sour. But it’s hard to think of a drink more refreshing than the Whiskey Smash.
Like the famous mint julep, the whiskey smash showcases that refreshing combination of bourbon and mint. This drink is also sweetened, and adding lemon gives it a citrus spin that’s perfect for your favorite bourbon. It comes together very quickly, and you can tweak it as you see fit to match a particular whiskey.Print
- 5 to 8 leaves spearmint (to taste)
- 1/4 lemon (cut into 3 pieces)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Garnish: mint sprig
- In a cocktail shaker, add the mint and lemon. Muddle thoroughly to release the juices and oils.
- Add simple syrup, whiskey, and fill the shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig. Serve and enjoy.
If you don’t have a muddler, smash the ingredients with the back of a spoon or the handle of a wooden spoon.
Though the recipe calls for bourbon, other styles of whiskey will work just fine in the Whiskey Smash. It’s all a matter of personal preference. The drink will take on a different character with each whiskey you pour.