- 5 to 8 leaves spearmint (to taste)
- 1/4 lemon (cut into 3 pieces)
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Garnish: mint sprig
- In a cocktail shaker, add the mint and lemon. Muddle thoroughly to release the juices and oils.
- Add simple syrup, whiskey, and fill the shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a glass filled with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a mint sprig. Serve and enjoy.
If you don’t have a muddler, smash the ingredients with the back of a spoon or the handle of a wooden spoon.
Though the recipe calls for bourbon, other styles of whiskey will work just fine in the Whiskey Smash. It’s all a matter of personal preference. The drink will take on a different character with each whiskey you pour.