Treat as a healthy lunch or vegetarian starter, this simple and refreshing vibrant green soup is low in calories and features three of your five-a-day.Print
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- small bunch spring onions , roughly chopped
- 1 cucumber , roughly chopped
- 1 large round lettuce , roughly chopped
- 225g frozen peas
- 4 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 4 tbsp bio yogurt (optional)
- 4 slices rye bread
Boil 1.4 litres water in a kettle. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the spring onions for 5 mins, stirring frequently, or until softened. Add the cucumber, lettuce and peas, then pour in the boiled water. Stir in the bouillon, cover and simmer for 10 mins or until the vegetables are soft but still bright green.
- Blitz the mixture with a hand blender until smooth. Serve hot or cold, topped with yogurt (if you like), with rye bread alongside.
PACK IT FOR LUNCH
Take this to work in a thermos flask and it will stay hot or chilled, depending on how you prefer to eat it.
The peas add substance to the other vegetables and are a useful source of iron and fibre, including soluble fibre, which helps regulate cholesterol levels. Don’t worry that the peas are frozen – they are frozen as soon as they are picked, so (unless you are picking straight from your garden) they are generally nutritionally richer than fresh ones.