A generous grating of parmesan balances the citrus in this fresh, healthy pesto soup. A simple veggie supper you can serve with fluffy garlic flatbreads.Print
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks , finely chopped
- 1.4l vegetable stock
- 2 small lemons , zested and juiced
- 170g orzo
- 120g frozen peas
- 250g frozen spinach
- 50g pesto
- garlic flatbreads , to serve (optional)
- 60g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, celery and a pinch of salt, and fry for 8 mins until soft. Add the stock with the zest and juice of the lemons, and season. Stir in the orzo and cook for 5 mins, then add the peas and spinach, and cook for a further 5 mins. Swirl though the pesto and season.
- Heat the flatbreads, if using, following pack instructions. Ladle the soup generously into bowls and top with a handful of parmesan. Serve with the flatbread to dip.