- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 slices
- Olive oil (about 1/2 cup, plus more for drizzling)
- Balsamic vinegar (about 1/2 cup, plus more for drizzling)
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 15 basil leaves, divided
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh salad greens, optional
- Heat your grill to medium. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Place eggplant slices on grill and cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and grill another 3 minutes or so, until eggplant is softened and nice grill marks appear. Remove from grill and set aside.
- Layer salad greens on a serving platter. Arrange eggplant slices on greens. Top each piece of eggplant with a slice of mozzarella cheese, 1 basil leaf and a slice of tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Slice any remaining basil leaves into thin strips and sprinkle on top of eggplant stacks. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: appetizer, balsamic vinegar, basil, eggplant, mozzarella cheese, salad, side