There’s nothing like a cup of hot cocoa on a cold, winter day. Especially if said cocoa is topped with toasted marshmallows! I love toasted marshmallows. I make a mean toasted marshmallow milkshake, too. As a kid, I once burned my leg with a toasted marshmallow. I used to set them on fire, blow them out, and peel off the scorched outer layer to get to the gooey inner layer. Oh, how I miss having a real fireplace. 🙂
This is a very decadent version of hot cocoa. It’s thick and chocolatey, without being overly sweet. It’s important to use good quality chocolate for this recipe–it’ll make all the difference in the world. Please don’t use Hershey’s. I will most likely judge you if you do. 😉
Hot Cocoa with Toasted Marshmallows
- 4 cups milk (I used organic whole milk but non-fat or 2% will work just fine)
- 4 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped (I used 62% cacao)
- 4 oz milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons sugar (more or less depending on personal preference and type of chocolate used)
- pinch of salt
- toasted marshmallows (I skewer and toast them over the gas stove)
Warm 2 cups of milk with the chocolate, sugar, and salt, stirring until the chocolate is melted. Be careful not to let the mixture boil.
Vigorously whisk in the remaining two cups of milk. Make sure to warm the cocoa completely through. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla. Top with marshmallows and serve warm.