We are fully into summer and making our way over into late summer already. Summer is so fleeting. While I love this season and its sun soaked days and bounty of produce, it often feels a little frantic. Like there is so much to fit into such a short amount of time and squeeze out of every day.
As someone who loves to do it all, I am doing my best to slow things down by taking time to just enjoy each day as it comes and take quiet moments in the garden and nature and to spend time with friends and family with feet in the sand. I am soaking up the beauty and warmth and trying and tuck some of it away (in my mind and freezer) to draw upon in the cold, dark months of winter.
August is the most colourful month of the year in the garden and at the farmer’s market. The variety and abundance blows my mind every year. I have been making a version of this salad for a few summers now and wanted to share this year’s edition with you. As with most salads, it is super flexible. I think it would be beautiful with a few blackberries scattered in there as well and it works equally well with peaches or nectarines.
I hope you are embracing the ease of summer cooking, taking time to do what fills your heart with joy and enjoying these fleeting days of summer. For some beautiful reflections on the impermanence of this season, Natalie Rousseau has shared her thoughts in an article on her site. She captures the late summer season perfectly. Can’t wait to share more about Natalie later this month on my site.
Peach, Corn and Halloumi Salad with Lime Jalapeno Dressing
Author: Lindsey Bell
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 2 -4 servings
This salad is generous for 2 as a meal or feeds 4 with other food.
- 1 small cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 lemon cucumber, sliced into wedges
- 2 peaches or nectarines, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 cobs of corn, cut off the cob
- small chunk of sweet onion, finely sliced
- handful of cilantro
- handful of basil
- handful of edible flowers
- 1 small piece halloumi cheese, cut into bit sized pieces
- 2 tsp ghee or olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ – ½ jalapeno, deseeded and deveined and finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- Whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, honey and jalapeno. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until combined. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan large enough to fit the halloumi in one layer over medium heat. Add 1 tsp ghee or olive oil and cook the halloumi for 3-5 minutes on the first side, or until golden brown. Flip the halloumi over and cook another 1-2 minutes. Remove the halloumi from the pan and set aside. Add the additonal 1 tsp of ghee or olive oil to the pan and then the corn. Sauté the corn with a good pinch of salt for 2 -3 minutes, until just cooked. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl or on a platter, combine the cucumbers, peaches, cherry tomatoes, cooled corn, sweet onion, and halloumi. Toss with enough dressing to lightly coat the fruit and veggies. Scatter with the herbs and edible flowers and drizzle with a little more dressing.