With an ingredient list just four items long (chicken, olive oil, salt, pepper), the genius of this bare-bones roast chicken is in its technique.
- 1 whole chicken, 3 to 4 pounds, trimmed of excess fat
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put a cast-iron skillet on a low rack in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper.
- When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 155 to 165 degrees.
- Tip the pan to let the juices flow from the chicken’s cavity into the pan. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Carve and serve.
- Calories: 673 calories
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 949 miligrams
- Fat: 51 grams
- Saturated Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 1 gram
- Protein: 50 grams
Keywords: Chicken, Dinner, Easy, Main Course, Passover