This mixture of sweet potatoes, savory pumpkin and tart apples is a variation on my sweet potato puree with apples. For the best flavor, I suggest you make it a day ahead.Print
This mixture of sweet potatoes, savory pumpkin and tart apples is a variation on my sweet potato puree with apples
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 pound pumpkin, seeds removed
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 5 tablespoons plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Scrub sweet potatoes, and pierce in several places with a sharp knife. Pierce the apples in a few places. Line a baking sheet with foil, lightly oil the foil, and place the potatoes, pumpkin (cut side down) and apples on top. Bake the pumpkin and apples for 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife can easily be inserted right to the core of the apples (it’s fine if the skin pops off the apples, or if they collapse) and the pumpkin is soft. Remove the pumpkin and apples from the oven. Continue to bake the sweet potatoes until thoroughly soft and beginning to ooze, 15 minutes or longer, depending on the size. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool until you can handle them easily.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees. Remove the skins from the potatoes and pumpkin. Peel and core the apples, and scrape off any apple flesh that adheres to the skin. Chop everything coarsely, and place in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend well. Transfer to a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat the puree in the 350-degree oven for 20 minutes, or until steaming. Serve hot.
Advance preparation: This can be made up to three days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheating will take 30 to 40 minutes.
- Calories: 138 calories
- Sugar: 12 grams
- Sodium: 75 miligrams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 3 grams
Keywords: Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Side Dish, Gluten Free, Halal, Healthy, Vegetarian