Since we are well into Spring and Easter is now upon us I thought it was time to share some photos and a recipe from an egg shoot that I did with Issha Marie several weeks ago.
When I visited Urban Digs farm a month ago now, Julia sent me home with some of the most beautiful eggs from their chickens. All colours, shapes and sizes. Issha and I are both big egg lovers so we decided to dedicate the day to photographing and eating these amazing eggs!
Issha made us a lovely egg salad with eggs from Cropthorne Farm and we hard boiled the eggs from Julia and ate them with some lemon-thyme salt, bread and butter. The perfect snack when we realized we hadn’t eaten in many hours. Too much fun photographing and not enough time eating.
I love egg salad and it goes without saying that the better the quality of the eggs the more delicious your egg salad will be. The eggs seem particularly tasty right now, with the brightest yolks.
I have included a version of Issha’s egg salad that she made for us in the recipe below. I loved her addition of the fresh fennel and capers and lots of herbs. I have provided measurements as a guideline but you certainly don’t need to measure. I am pretty sure Issha didn’t. A little of this and a pinch of that and you are on your way to a beautiful egg salad.
The lemon-thyme salt is so simple it certainly doesn’t need a recipe. We made it by simply bashing up about 1 tsp of lemon-thyme leaves with about 1 Tbsp of good quality salt in the mortar and pestle. It added the perfect herby citrus note to the eggs. You could certainly play around with different herbs here for delicious results I am sure.
You should certainly hop on over to Issha’s egg post as she brings such fun, whimsy and beauty to her work and really showcases the quail eggs that we shot. So pretty!
Oh and this radicchio salad with bacon and eggs from Julie at Kitchen Culinaire sounds divine too.
I hope everyone is having a lovely long weekend, hopefully in the company of good food, friends and family.
Happy Spring and happy egg hunting and eating!
The Perfect Spring Egg Salad
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 18 mins
Serves: serves 4
This recipe is Issha’s take on an egg salad. Love her addition of fresh fennel and capers and squeeze of lemon juice. Issha likes to serve this egg salad in a wrap with some finely shredded red cabbage for crunch. I would think some thinly sliced radishes would also be a nice accompaniment. The egg salad is also lovely on top of fresh bread or straight out of the bowl with a spoon.
- 6 eggs
- 1-2 Tbsp organic mayonnaise (or thick plain yogurt)
- 1 tsp yellow or dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill, or more if you like
- 1-2 scallions, finely chopped or small bunch of Spring chives
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped capers
- ¼ cup finely diced fennel bulb
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the eggs in a small pot and add enough water to cover them by about a half inch. Bring the water and eggs to a boil. Reduce head to low and let cook for 8 minutes. Place the eggs in an ice bath or under cool running water to stop the cooking process. Once cool, peel the eggs and chop into small pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Mix the egg with the mayonnaise and mustard. Once well combined, stir in the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste and a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice.