These are the best vegan crab cakes and they taste like the real deal! The jackfruit has a texture that is so similar to crab.Print
- 1 flax “egg” 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed + 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 20-ounce can jackfruit in brine or water
- 2 Tablespoons green onions chopped
- 1/3 cup frozen corn thawed
- juice from 1/2 lemon about a Tablespoon
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise I like JUST mayo brand
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs plus more for rolling (I used whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay spice plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 Tablespoons canola oil or other neutral tasting oil like grapeseed
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1+1/2 Tablespoon sweet relish can used chopped dill pickle instead. See notes
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix ground flaxseed and water and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Drain jackfruit and put in a large mixing bowl. Using hands, break apart jackfruit chunks, discarding any seeds or seed casings.
Add remaining ingredients minus canola oil for crab cakes into mixing bowl and mix well with a rubber spatula.
Pour some breadcrumbs (about 1/4 cup) and Old Bay spice (about 1 teaspoon) onto a plate. Mix well.
Using a 1/4 cup, scoop out crab cake mixture and form patties with hands. Roll in breadcrumbs, ensuring both sides are coated evenly.
Place a nonstick pan on medium heat. Once hot, add 1/2 teaspoon canola oil and place patties onto the pan. Let cook 3-4 minutes on each side. I like to cook no more than 2 at a time. Add 1/2 teaspoon more oil between each round of cooking.
Mix together all ingredients for the sauce. Adjust seasonings as needed.
For tartar sauceIf you’d like, you can use chopped dill pickle instead of relish. I’d recommend adding a tiny bit of sugar to balance it out!