Make a vegan version of fajitas with all the flavours of the classic Mexican dish. It makes a great sharing dish where everyone can help themselves.Print
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red or yellow peppers , cut into strips
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- ½ tsp chilli powder or chilli flakes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 lime , juiced
- 400g can black beans , rinsed and drained
- small bunch coriander , finely chopped
- 4 large or 8–12 small tortillas
- 1 avocado , sliced
- dairy free yogurt , to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the peppers and onions over a medium high heat until tender and starting to turn golden brown, about 6-8 mins. Add the garlic and spices and fry for 1 min more until fragrant. Add half of the lime juice and season. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm while you heat the beans.
- Tip the black beans into the same frying pan and add the remaining lime juice. Season well, and stir until warmed through and coated in any remaining spices from the pan. Stir in most of the coriander.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or wrapped in foil in a low oven, then cover with a tea towel to keep them warm. Serve the wraps with the peppers, beans, avocado, dairy-free yogurt, extra coriander and extra lime wedges to squeeze over, if you like.